Vision Screening Services in Hattiesburg MS
Is your child struggling in school? It could be their vision.
Parents and educators often incorrectly assume that if a child passes a school vision screening, then there is no vision problem. However, school vision screenings often only test for visual acuity. In reality, the vision skills needed for successful reading and learning are much more complex. A child who can see 20/20 can still have a vision problem.
Vision is a complex process that involves several visual skills, and more than 65% of all the pathways to the brain. One in four children have undiagnosed eye problems which can interfere with learning and lead to academic and/or behavioral problems. However, it is important to know that these children frequently do not report symptoms because they think everyone sees the same way they do.
Often a child with a vision-based learning problem has excellent verbal skills, causing parents and educators to think the child must be lazy, have ADD/ADHD, or is learning disabled. The possible misdiagnosis can be due to similar symptoms, but the causes are not the same.
Does your child do these things while reading or writing? If so, we can help.
- Fatigue with reading or comprehension drops with time
- Confusion with similar words or letters
- Difficulty copying from whiteboard or book
- Short attention span while reading
- Difficulty keeping place while reading
- Holds head too close to book or desk
- Slow reading or word-by-word reading
- Skips or rereads lines
- Uses finger or marker as a pointer
- Holds head too close to desk when writing
- Says the words aloud or lip reads
- Difficulty remembering what has been read
- Reverses words or letters
- Difficulty remembering newly learned words
- Poor sitting posture while reading or writing
- Excessive head turning while reading
- Frowning, excessive blinking, scowling, squinting, or other facial distortions while reading
- Rubs eyes during or after reading
- Tilts head to one side
- Turns head so as to use one eye only
Request a Consultation
If your child is struggling with school and you think it might be their vision, we can help. Go ahead and schedule a consultation to get started.
What our patients say:
I love how much the vision therapy is helping my son. At the end of school last year we had just identified his vision processing issues. He made a lot of progress in spelling test grades and visual memory has improved. We are continuing therapy and looking forward to even more progress this year. He even wanted to read over the summer! Proud mom! Love all the compassion and concern from Dr. Megan and Dr. Maples. Awesome place that God blessed us with!!
“Dr. Lott and Dr. Maples have gone above and beyond. She loves coming to vision therapy. I personally like that there are sets to measure and track progress. We are thrilled with the results so far and look forward to more improvements!”
“Wonderful to work with. Have seen great improvement. Thanks for making it such a fun time for her.”
“His self confidence was 0 when we started and he has thought for years he was “dumb” because of his vision. Dr. Lott, Dr. Maples and Jan have given him so much more hopes than we could ever dream. This is a wonderful place.”